2013年7月28日日曜日

10+ More Questions about Neo-Tokyo

+Random Wizard posted a list of his own DMing questions recently and I can not resist answering a questionnaire about gaming. It's a great opportunity to evaluate yourself and look at how you are gaming (or in my case, planning to game). 
For Neo-Tokyo (Shin-Edo), my upcoming Flailsnails compatible Kaiju/Mech/Samurai/Goblin Steampunk-inspired shenanigans I have decided to answer yet another 10+ questions. This one is mercifully shorter than the last.

10+ from Random Wizard
(1). Race (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling) as a class? Yes or no?
As natives to the setting: dwarf only. Elves have been replaced by Tengu and Halflings are replaced by Bakemono (which are oni-tainted goblins).
I am planning to use Oriental Adventures and Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion, but race as class is still an option for those who prefer LL Core. However, if players are interested in any of the home brewed stuff in the OSR universe - they should go for it.
(2). Do demi-humans have souls?
Geez... Um, yes? This is a question about resurrection though, isn't it? Then I doubt it matters.
Resurrection is not terribly common in Neo-Tokyo.
(3). Ascending or descending armor class?
Descending. But I will try to make accommodations for ascenders... Flailsnails, sheesh.
(4). Demi-human level limits?
Level limits: Yes. Class limitations: No. I like the idea of a goblin samurai or hengeyokai thief/mech pilot. I have never liked the idea of human only classes.
(5). Should thief be a class?
Sure. I am still not sure why this question pops up. Just because I don't know how to think like a thief, it doesn't mean others can't. Fidgety stuff like mechanics are just in the way of fun.
(6). Do characters get non-weapon skills?
Um. I'm iffy on the subject, but I'm thinking to treat it as a bonus like D&D next, a static +3 on the roll or something. It seems that most folks don't really use skills in the OSR or Flailsnails. I can appreciate that.
(7). Are magic-users more powerful than fighters (and, if yes, what level do they take the lead)?
Sure. Some mechs can only be piloted by casters and any caster that has reached a substantial level will doubtlessly be able to take out numerous fighters. However, the most revered fighting men and women in the lands are also truly deadly and fearsome.
(8). Do you use alignment languages?
Didn't use to like them, but I've seen them put to use and I am now intrigued by the premise. I just am not completely convinced I can pull it off.
(9). XP for gold, or XP for objectives (thieves disarming traps, etc...)?
XP for everything!
(10). Which is the best edition; ODD, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer, Rules Cyclopedia, 1E ADD, 2E ADD, 3E ADD, 4E ADD, Next ?
Truth be told, I'm most comfortable running 4e (as it's the system I have run most consistently). It's clearly got it's problems, but whichever edition I am currently playing is best. I don't have a lot of hang-ups about edition. My games tend to become messy Frankensteins of all the editions. There are exciting elements in all the editions.
Bonus Question: Unified XP level tables or individual XP level tables for each class?
4e has that unified xp table and it makes sense because the game is meant to be balanced in terms of power. However, I don't care for it that much. I like the idea of the fast advancing thief and the slower elf (with a thousand years to improve, what's the hurry?)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿